Friday, March 4, 2011

And we're back

Sorry for the delay. Sometimes life just becomes overwhelming and blogging becomes less of a priority.

On top of that, I was having a hard time coming up with a topic. I mean, I have a list of things to talk about but I was feeling like a hypocrite. Here I am trying to tell other women how to feel beautiful and confident about themselves, when most of the time I don't feel like that myself. So days and weeks went by and I couldn't write on this blog because I felt I had nothing to say. Today however, I realized that we will all have days and weeks and years like this, where we feel less than perfect. Less than mediocre in fact. So when I am having those thoughts I will be honest about it, as it is all part of the journey to becoming happy in our own skin. Ok, moving on.

Ask yourself this question: Would I be my own friend?

If you answered yes, then that is probably a pretty good indication that you are generally happy with yourself, even if you have bad days. We usually don't hang out with people we don't like. Think about the things that make you a good friend, a nice person, a fun individual etc. and try to exemplify those traits in the way you treat yourself. If you are always there to lend an ear to a troubled friend, listen to yourself once in awhile. If you treat your friends with kindness and respect, show yourself the same. Be your own best friend.

If you answered no, or are unsure, perhaps you should make a list of the reasons why you would not be your own friend. Use this list as a reminder of things you would like to change or improve. Why would you be a better companion to someone else than you would your own person?

I answered this question YES. There are things about myself that I dislike. I'm sure you all have moments like I have where you say or do something mean or uncharacteristic, then cringe and feel guilty. Those are the kind of things I dislike about myself. But when I am good, I am very very good and that's when I can truly say I love myself.

3 comments:

  1. You are right on the money with this post Shannon. I love the line "Be your own best friend".

    I am happy to say I answered Yes as well. I found to be my own best friend also meant becoming my own parent. We never outgrow the need to be loved an nurtured. We must simply take over from our parents the task of loving and nurturing ourselves. That also means forgiving ourselves when you make mistakes and rewarding ourselves when you do well.

    Great post dear friend.
    Hugs
    Pegs xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Pegs. I think sometimes we are our own harshest critic when we should be the one who loves ourselves the most. Once you start to love who you are inside, the outside will not matter so much

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not to brag, but *I would be my own friend ;D
    That makes me cool. still love this pink background.. ^^
    Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete

Leave your beauty mark